Sunday, February 12, 2012

Breakfast of Champions




Long-time readers will know that I am a big fan of a nice, home-baked breakfast for my kids every morning. But because I have three kids in elementary school and one in preschool, mornings tend to be a bit chaotic at our house. So I usually end up making breakfast the day before. I came across this recipe on Pinterest--it is originally from Everyday Food magazine, but it had been altered and then I altered it even more. My kids loved these muffins and I have been making a batch a week to just have on hand for a quick go-to breakfast for myself and Ryan. Cause let's face it--by the time I have all four kids bathed, fed, dressed, teeth-brushed, hair-done, backpacks packed, bundled up and out the door as well as having the kitchen clean and hopefully a load of laundry started--I need a quick, easy breakfast! I'll usually just have one or two with a mug of sugar-free hot chocolate! Perfect way to start my day!

Healthy Morning Muffins
adapted from Everyday Food magazine
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2-3 Tbsp ground flax seed
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup steel cut oats
1/2 cup raisins
3 Tbsp applesauce
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
1 large egg white
1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
4 medium carrots, shredded (I use my food processor and then chop them even smaller so I don't have long strands of carrots sticking out of the muffins.)
1 medium ripe banana, mashed

1) Preheat oven to 400*. Coat a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, ground flax seed, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg and salt until there are no lumps. Stir in oats and raisins. Add oil, egg, milk, carrots and mashed banana and stir until blended.
2) Fill each muffin cup with 1/4 cup batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Serve muffins warm or at room temperature. (To store, keep in an airtight container up to three days--or longer in the fridge!)

No comments: