Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Good foods

I've decided to get away from blogging about what I eat and how I work out every day (because really, HOW BORING) and focus more on what healthy things I make for the family and our family activities that lend themselves to a healthy lifestyle for all.

So this morning I made pancakes for the kids. After one bite, Isaac asked, "What did you do to these?!" Yes, they were that good. So here is my secret...I used the Bisquick Healthy Heart Mix and just mixed up the recipe on the box. But then I added pumpkin puree and used Vanilla almond milk for half of the milk and added 2 scoops of vanilla protein powder. They tasted like white cake! Seriously. Yum.
Tonight's dinner was spaghetti pie, which I have already posted a recipe for, but I have improved it a bit, so I wanted to post this new one (complete with a picture this time.) This is a HUGE hit at our house.
New and Improved Spaghetti Pie

1 box whole wheat spaghetti noodles
2 cage free eggs
1 24 oz. fat free cottage cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan/Romano blend
2 cups marinara
1/2 cup veggie puree
3/4 cup shredded mozarella
1/2 cup Italian style bread crumbs

1. Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
2. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 casserole dish. Sprinkle half of the breadcrumbs on the bottom of the dish. In a large bowl, beat eggs, then add cottage cheese, Parmesan and veggie puree. Mix until blended.
3. Add spaghetti to cottage cheese mixture and stir until well coated. Transfer spaghetti mixture to prepared pie plate; top with marinara sauce. Sprinkle with mozarella, extra Parmesan and the other half of the bread crumbs.
4. Bake 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before cutting and serving.

p.s. For those of you who don't know me, I should say that I don't keep my spending habits a secret from my husband! My "p.s." from yesterday was just a joke to see if he actually reads my blog...which he does! This morning he asked me what kind of swimsuit I bought. :)

No comments: