Thursday, November 18, 2010

DIY Yogurt!

I am rather obsessed with Greek Yogurt. I try to limit my intake because it is so darn expensive. And yet (who knew?!) so darn easy to make!!!

First you take a thing of plain old yogurt. I should have checked the sugar content in this before I bought it. Silly me--I assumed that because it was plain it was low in sugar. 16 grams is not low in sugar. Next time I will check my labels more closely.
Put a colander in a bowl and line the colander with cheesecloth. Finding cheesecloth may be the hardest part of this entire process. I finally found some at Albertson's in the Kitchen gadgets aisle.
Dump the yogurt in the cheesecloth and pull the sides together.
The directions I saw said to refrigerate it for 3 hours at this point. I like it THICK, so I just did it over night. In the morning, the whey has separated out of the yogurt and you are left with thick, creamy yumminess.
Perfect! And HALF the price!!!

3 comments:

Becca said...

no way! what is the nasty yellow fluid?

Lindsay said...

It's the whey. Think Little Miss Muffet.

Kayla said...

No Whey! No, seriously, I can't wait to try this. It's been on my to-do list for a year and I just need to get around to it! I want to know about your homemade greek, do you just follow the same process as making it and then when it's done you separate out the whey? you might need to talk me through it. have you tried making flavors yet?