1/3 cup brown rice (uncooked)
4 portions chicken breast
1 lime, halved
2 tsp. taco seasoning
6 corn tortillas
1 TBSP olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 onion, chopped
1 can diced green chilies (4 oz.)
6 cups fat free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
4 TBSP salsa
1/4 cup fat free sour cream
2 TBSP cilantro, chopped
1. Cook brown rice according to package directions. While rice is cooking, place chicken breasts in a shallow dish; cover with lime juice and lightly coat both sides with taco seasoning. Then place chicken on a hot grill and cook for approximately 6 minutes on each side. Let chicken cool slightly, then cut it into strips and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and cut corn tortillas into 1/2 inch strips, then place them on a baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until crispy. Set aside.
3. While the tortilla strips are baking, heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic and onion; saute until the onion is transparent, about 8 minutes.
4. Add cooked rice to the pot and saute for 3 minutes. Add green chilies and saute for 2 more minutes. Then pour fat-free broth into the mixture and bring it to a boil. Add sliced chicken and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 25 minutes.
5. Place a few baked tortilla chips in the bottom of the bowls, and spoon about a fourth of the soup into each. Garnish with more tortilla strips, a spoonful of salsa, sour cream and cilantro.
**You might just want to consider doubling this one. It is that good. I also add lime juice to the soup. Yum!**