Saturday, November 27, 2010

Jacket Potatoes

Kind of a weird name, but these are easy and really good. And...vegetarian!! I think my struggle is going to be getting enough protein to keep me full. But tonight's recipe (courtesy of my SIL) was a great way to start our adventure. Basically, these are actually just baked potatoes with a yummy topping. So I still don't really get the name...

I promise there is a potato hiding under there...

Avocado, Tomato and Corn Salsa

2 tomatoes, chopped
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1/2 purple onion, chopped
1 TBSP lime juice
1/2 tsp. sugar (I used Truvia)
2 avocados, diced

Put tomatoes, corn, onions, lime juice and sugar into a bowl and mix well. Add the avocado. Spoon mixture onto baked potatoes and add a dollop of fat-free sour cream.

(Here I was thinking I could have used plain Greek yogurt or fat-free cottage cheese instead of the sour cream to up the protein content. Next time I will know!)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

They call baked potatoes 'jacket potatoes' in the UK, so that's probably where she got it - didn't they live here for a while?

I almost always sub plain yogurt for sour cream - definitely a good way to up the protein without meat. We eat lots of beans (especially hummus which is an awesome snack if you buy low-fat or make it that way yourself); I'm all about the semi-vegetarian thing too, although I confess I don't do it as often as I should. I'll try to send some recipes your way.

Lindsay said...

Yeah, they did live there--that must be where the name came from. I love the sour cream idea--I don't know why it didn't occur to me sooner.