Thursday, December 2, 2010

Farfalle with Many Mushrooms


This was okay--it probably would have been better if I had cooked it in wine, like the recipe called for, but I don't have any cooking wine, so I had to use water instead. I think I need to get some, though. I love mushrooms and think this could be really good!

2 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP unsalted butter
2 lbs. mixed mushrooms, wiped clean, stems removed, sliced
1 tsp. salt
Pepper
6 large cloves garlic, minced
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 large handful Italian parsley, finely chopped
1/2 cup dry white or red wine (or water...)
1 lb. farfalle (which I couldn't find in whole wheat, so I used penne)
1 TBSP unsalted butter (optional)
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1. Cook pasta according to package directions.

2. Heat oil and butter in a large saute pan. Add the mushrooms and saute over high heat for about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms start to turn brown around the edges. Toss occasionally.

3. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper, lower the heat to medium and add the garlic, red pepper flakes, parsley and wine. Stir well and cook for 5 minutes longer.

4. Add cooked pasta to mushroom sauce. Add 1 TBSP butter if desired. Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

I think this would also taste good with toasted walnuts.

Adapted from a recipe in The One Dish Vegetarian by Maria Robbins, page 48

No comments: