Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Go tell Veronica...



I'm not Jewish, but some of their food is pretty good (and vegetarian). We try to have a little Hanukkah celebration every year. (I'm pretty sure tomorrow is the last day of Hanukkah, so if you hurry you can celebrate it, too! Any excuse to listen to that Adam Sandler song, I say.)

This year I made the latkes (potato pancakes) a little lighter and topped them with plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream to add protein. I also made four loaves of Challah bread--I probably shouldn't eat too much of that, but it was fabulous!

After dinner Becca and I braved the cold and ran 4.8 miles again. We did better this time and I feel awesome, hills and all!! I love the way I feel after working out.

So here is the latke recipe I used (with my adjustments, of course.)

2 cups peeled and shredded potatoes
1 TBSP grated onion
3 egg whites, beaten
2 TBSP flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
cooking spray

1. Place the potatoes in cheesecloth and wring, extracting as much moisture as possible.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together potatoes, onion, egg whites, flour and salt.
3. Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and heat it with medium-high heat. Place large spoonfuls of the potato mixture onto the skillet, pressing down on them to form 1/4 to 1/2 inch patties. Brown on one side, turn and brown on the other. Serve hot with all natural applesauce and plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream.)

So drink your gin-and-tonic-ah, and smoke your mara-juanic-ah,
If you really, really wanna-kah, have a happy, happy, happy, happy
Hanukkah!


Happy Hanukkah!!

No comments: