Thursday, December 2, 2010
Risotto with Tomato Sauce
aka Cheese Pizza Rice
This really is divine!! I kicked it up a notch by adding fresh mozzarella to the mix. WOW!! Adapted from another One Dish Vegetarian recipe, this one on page 84.
1 TBSP unsalted butter
1 TBSP olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 28-oz. can whole tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
2 TBSP finely chopped fresh parsley
2 TBSP finely chopped fresh basil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar (I used Truvia)
5 1/2 cups organic vegetable broth
2 TBSP unsalted butter
1 TBSP olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine (I used water again.)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
3/4 cup fresh mozzarella, cubed
1. Prepare the tomato sauce. Heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, parsley, basil, salt and sugar. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, until the sauce has started to thicken. Remove from heat and reserve.
2. In a saucepan, bring the broth to a simmer. Keep the liquid at a bare simmer while you proceed with the risotto.
3. In a large saucepan, heat the butter and oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook about 2 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring with a spoon until the rice is well coated. Add the wine (or water) and cook until liquid is completely absorbed.
4. Add 1 cup hot broth, stirring frequently, until the liquid is almost absorbed, then continue adding 1/2 cup of hot broth at a time, stirring until each is almost absorbed. Adjust the heat so that the risotto is always at a gentle simmer. After about 15 minutes, add the tomato sauce and continue adding the broth and stirring for another 3 to 5 minutes, until the rice is pleasantly creamy.
5. Stir in any remaining broth and turn off heat. Add cheeses and stir until melted. Serve risotto as soon as possible.