Monday, June 28, 2010

Comfort foods




I had started feeling a little better on Saturday, but yesterday I went seriously downhill again. I have been sleeping almost constantly and I feel miserable. But today Ryan is at work and I have to be Mommy again.

When I'm sick all rational, logical thoughts about food go flying out the window and I just want comfort foods. It's so annoying. I don't want to think about balancing proteins and carbs--I just want to eat what I want, when I want it. Especially when my body is all achy like it has been this time. I know I should be eating better than ever when I'm sick and not working out. It is definitely a mental battle that I struggle with.

So this morning we had milk toast for breakfast. Very little protein involved. No veggie purees this time. Just yummy homemade bread, lightly toasted and covered in warm milk and a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar. It felt heavenly on my sore throat.

Milk Toast
Here is the simple bread recipe, adapted from one of Ryan's cousin's blog:

1 1/2 cups warm water
2 TBSP sugar
1 TBSP yeast

Let that sit for 5 minutes. Then add:

3 1/2 cups flour (use part whole wheat, if desired)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup ground flaxseed

Mix until smooth, then let raise 10 minutes. Form into loaves and let rise 30 minutes. Bake at 400 degrees about 30 minutes, or until lightly browned.

Toast sliced bread under oven broiler. Place in bowl and top with cinnamon sugar and warm milk.

The color in this picture is kind of weird. But I've never claimed to be a photographer.

1 comment:

Rochelle said...

Seriously, GO TO THE DOCTOR!! I don't mean to be so bossy, but I am worried about you :) And I know you're at the park right now...what??