Sunday, June 20, 2010

Hit the road!

We love to travel and, especially at this time of the year, we spend a lot of our free time outdoors enjoying nature. This weekend we traveled up to Estes Park, CO and had a wonderful time. We stayed at the YMCA of the Rockies and got to spend a whole weekend together making wonderful memories. Vacations can be tricky when it comes to living a healthy lifestyle. I have a secret formula for making it all work and not compromising when we are not at home. Two simple, powerful little words:

Plan Ahead.

Whenever we go anywhere I plan out all of our meals (and snacks) in advance, pack it all up and take it all with us. Disneyland, Yellowstone, Chicago--I've taken my own food everywhere. Not only does it save us money, it saves us calories! So here is an idea of some of what we ate this weekend:

Thursday dinner: Pitas (see previous post)
Friday breakfast: Whole wheat muffins, yogurt, hard boiled eggs
Morning snack (Ryan and I): Slim fast shake--easy, easy.
Snack for kids: Mini whole wheat bagels with fat free Strawberry Cream cheese
Friday lunch: Cold cut sandwiches on whole wheat bread with fat free meat and reduced fat cheese and honey mustard (no calories.)
Afternoon snack: protein bar (us)--easy, easy!; granola bars (kids)
Friday dinner: Turkey burgers on whole wheat buns with Sun Chips





Saturday breakfast: We ate at the cafeteria there. I had plain oatmeal and some scrambled eggs.
Saturday dinner: Turkey hot dogs on whole wheat buns with Sun Chips.



Also, there is so much you can do while you travel in terms of exercising! Many hotels offer work out facilities these days, but even if you don't have that you have options. I have done many strength training exercises using my kids as the weights. (If you don't think that is hard try doing 50 squats with an 8 year old on your back!) And for the most part, you can always run. I went on a nice evening run on Thursday night and saw 2 bucks and a large female elk right up close! Much more exciting than anything I see on my normal runs!! :)

No comments: