Saturday, June 12, 2010

Traditions

We love traditions. Why is it that so many of them center around food?

One of our favorite traditions is that Ryan makes us biscuits and gravy for breakfast many Saturday mornings. I had never had biscuits and gravy before marrying Ryan. I thought anyone who ate gravy for breakfast had a screw loose. But it turns out that this stuff is really good! So we have altered our recipe to make it a bit healthier. Using turkey sausage instead of pork sausage helps a lot and as far as I know you can't taste the difference. Unfortunately, it is still a bit too fattening for my taste, so I usually don't indulge, but you know what they say: "Smelling is as good as tasting!" (Yeah, right.) Ryan makes the biscuits with part whole wheat flour and a reduced amount canola oil (instead of a solid fat.) If I was making them I would use applesauce or a veggie puree instead of the fat, but that is just me.

So this morning, ta-dah:


The dangers of Lindsay staying logged in to the blogger...Ryan hijacks a post. Any spelling or grammatical errors in the following recipes can in no way be attributed to the owner of this blog.


Gravy

1 lb Turkey Sausage
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 Cup Flour
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
2 Cups Water
1 1/2 Cups Milk

Brown the sausage in a frying pan. Remove from heat and drain grease. Add flour salt and black pepper to the sausage and stir until all the flour is coating the meat and has been soaked up by the left over grease. Add the water and stir over high heat until the gravy comes to a heavy boil. Reduce heat and simmer stirring occasionally until the water is almost completely evaporated off. Add milk and bring gravy to a boil. Serve over warm biscuits from the oven.


Biscuits

4 Cups flour
2 Tbs Sugar
2 Tbs Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Cream of Tarter
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 cup Canola Oil
1 3/4 cups Water(or Milk)

Preheat oven to 415 °F. In a large mixing bowl whisk the dry ingredients together. Pour in the Water then the oil and with a wooden spoon or your favorite mixing implement (fingers work too) gently stir until the mixture is thoroughly moistened. Adding a bit more liquid you can save some time by making the batter into drop biscuits; otherwise roll out onto a floured surface and use cookie cutters to make the biscuits. Coat a cookie sheet with cooking spray and place biscuits on the cookie sheet as you cut them out. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until lightly brown.


The rest of the day was tricky for me because I worked from 9 to 2. I had a protein bar on my break, then a leftover sloppy joe and some watermelon when I got home. My next snack was a blackberry protein shake (berries were on sale at Sprouts last week.)

Dinner--Noodle Kugel. And I am planning to have a chocolate peanut butter protein shake later.

No comments: