Thursday, June 24, 2010

Today

I can do this...

I slept a lot of today, thanks to good friends who helped out with my kids. But when they were with me, I still had to feed them, and myself. So I still got a few pictures of menu ideas to share.


For breakfast the kids had Green Eggs and Toast. I made scrambled eggs using half egg whites and half regular eggs, skim milk and reduced fat shredded cheddar and added a blend of zucchini and spinach puree (1/2 cup). I do, I like them, Sam I am!!

Almost every day I am on the go for at least one of my snacks, and I have found these generic Slim Fast things to be a great way to get some food in me. They don't have quite as much protein as a regular protein shake, but they tide me over. And I think they are yummy, too!

Lunch today was leftovers for me. Last night I was feeling so sick and tired, but I really wanted some substantial protein in me, so my dear husband ran to "On the Border" (my favorite restaurant) and picked me up a Sizzling Chicken Fajita Salad. When you order this salad at the restaurant, it is not listed as one of their lighter options. But when I get it to go I ask for it without sour cream and cheese and they don't put the dressing on it. Then at home I add my own fat free sour cream and voila! I have suddenly saved a bunch of calories without sacrificing any taste. Even better that I only ate half of it last night for dinner and the other half today at lunch!

Dinner was another quick and easy modified favorite. I have to double it or there just isn't enough for my growing family anymore!

Strogaburgers
1 pound lean ground turkey
6 slices turkey bacon, sliced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 TBSP flour
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. paprika
Dash pepper
1 can fat free cream of mushroom soup
1 cup fat free sour cream
Whole wheat hamburger buns

Place ground turkey and bacon in skillet. Cook and stir until meat is browned. Add onion and cook until tender. Spoon off excess fat. Blend flour, salt, paprika and pepper into meat. Stir in soup. Cook, uncovered, on medium-low heat about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring often. Serve in buns.

1 comment:

robyncreates said...

Haven't tried Walmart's generic "Slim Fast" drinks, but I have tried Krogers and they just don't mix well-they separate. But I buy the powder and mix it with milk myself. Cheaper for me that way. I'll have to try this.

Fun reading all this. We tried making our own hummus a few weeks ago. Will have to work on it some more to make it a little more creamy. :)