Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Oatmeal Variety

Since I try to restrict my sugar intake as much as possible, I don't sweeten my oatmeal using sugar, or even anything artificial, such as Truvia or Splenda. Usually I rely on frozen blueberries and chopped almonds. Every once in a while I might add a small amount of local honey--but more for the health benefits than for the sweetness. Occasionally I might add some Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal because they claim it has as much protein as an egg.

My favorite is to use fresh, seasonal fruit, like this summer when I had those DIVINE fresh peaches on my oatmeal every morning. My mouth waters in loving memory.

While I was at my mom's I came up with another option that is yummy! I add orange zest, dried cranberries, walnuts and a sprinkle of cinnamon. It is really good and seems seasonally appropriate as well.

Just some ideas for those of you who get sick of oatmeal but remember that we are supposed to eat it every day according to "This is Why You're Fat."

No comments: