Thursday, July 8, 2010

Blueberry Walnut Breakfast Loaf


I needed something quick and easy for breakfast, so this is an adapted recipe that I came up with. FYI: if we are having a baked good for breakfast, you can bet I made it the day(or night) before. I don't have time to make these things in the morning when I'm getting three kids out the door to school.

4 oz. fat free cream cheese (half of the package)
2 cups biscuit mix (I use the Heart Smart Bisquick Mix)
1/2 cup sweet potato puree
2 TBSP skim milk
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
2 TBSP Splenda (or sugar)
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Oh, and chia and flaxseeds, too (I never measure these, really--maybe 2 TBSP each?)

Cut cream cheese into biscuit mix till crumbly. Add puree and milk; stir till mixed. Roll out into a rectangle on a sprayed cookie sheet (use flour if necessary.) Sprinkle Splenda and cinnamon down center of dough, add blueberries and walnuts. Make 2 1/2 inch cuts from long sides toward center at 1 inch intervals. Fold strips alternately over filling. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden.


It doesn't look that pretty, but it was a hit!

No comments: