Monday, July 5, 2010

Back in the saddle

I only napped for about an hour today--I think I really am almost back to full health! Today was great!

I started the day with a nice 30 minutes on the elliptical. I had 2 pieces of my special french toast for breakfast and then went to run errands. While at Sprouts I came across this little treat:

They are called "Goodnessknows." The ads on the commercials claim they are just in Denver and Boulder right now because we are such healthy cities. I don't know if that is true or they are just trying to make us feel good. But I bought into their ad campaign and tried one. I think I'll have to get another soon! They don't have much protein, but it was a nice little healthy treat to indulge in every once in a while.

I had a generic canned "weight loss drink" to go with my Goodnessknows for lunch and then a blueberry protein shake for my snack. Since I have been sick I have been having a lot more shakes than usual. This one was great!

Blueberry protein shake
1/2 banana
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
2/3 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup baby spinach leaves
5 ice cubes
1/2 cup skim milk
1 dropper full of "Kick it immune" herbal supplement
1 dropper full of Cherry tree bark herbal supplement
1 TBSP Chia seeds
1 TBSP ground flaxseed
1 dose Ecinachea



For my afternoon workout I did 40 minutes of Pilates. Good news is the kids are back in school tomorrow so my work out routine will become a lot easier again!

My dinner took more effort, but was worth it. This time of the year I want everything fresh or grilled. Or fresh and grilled. I had another grilled chicken salad. I marinated the chicken in lime juice and Montreal Chicken seasoning, then grilled it. I caramelized some onions and put those and the chicken over romaine lettuce, spinach, cilantro and chopped tomatoes. Add some fat free sour cream, a few crushed Sun Chips and a pinch of Chia seeds and voila! You don't even need dressing, this stuff is bursting with flavor. The only thing it was lacking was avocados. I bought some today, but they aren't quite ripe yet, so I will have to wait...

Check out those tomatoes...We have had some issues with birds stealing our ripe tomatoes out of the garden, so I had to buy these beauties. Hopefully I have solved the problem and we will be eating our own organic produce soon enough!


The kids had pigs in a blankets for dinner. We had leftover turkey dogs that needed to be used, so we whipped up a bread dough (same recipe again, my friends, this time with added sweet potato puree and chia seeds) and baked them up. They were a hit!

No comments: