Friday, July 16, 2010

Hot, hot, hot!!!


We are going through some sort of a heat wave here lately, and the heat just zaps my appetite. All I have wanted to eat is watermelon and lemonade. My family doesn't share my sentiment, though, so I have still been making them food. The other night I made them modified tuna casserole. This is an easy classic--but also really easy to make even healthier.

Tuna Casserole
2 cans tuna (packed in water)
1 pkg. whole wheat egg noodles
1 can fat free cream of mushroom soup
1/2 can skim milk
1/2 cup green puree
3/4 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar
1/4 cup flaxseed
2 TBSP chia seeds

Cook noodles. Mix everything together. Spread into sprayed 9x13 pan. Cook at 350 for 30 minutes. Voila!

This morning we had Swedish pancakes again, but this time I used beet puree (instead of sweet potato) to make them pink. The girls were just delighted and the boys didn't complain too much. Beets are good for you because (according to Jessica):
-They have 2 different antioxidants that help protect healthy cells against damage.
-They have folic acid which keeps cells growing and functioning.
-They are good for heart health and for regulating blood pressure because they are a source of potassium. (Doesn't potassium also help with belly bloat? All the better, I say!)

No comments: