Thursday, July 8, 2010

Fettucine Alfredo


Isaac took a field trip to the Old Spaghetti Factory a few weeks ago (don't even get me started...) and has been bugging me ever since to make Fettucine Alfredo. I came up with a very simple recipe that we had tonight and he said it was just as good. I sincerely appreciate the sentiment, but also doubt that the taste compares. Especially since I just googled the nutritional information and found out that one serving of theirs has 1080 calories and 70 grams of fat! I am still reeling.

Here is my version...(I'm not a nutritionist, so don't expect me to figure out the calorie content per serving, but I can guarantee you that it is a heck of a lot less than Old Heart Attack Waiting to Happen Spaghetti Factory.)

1 package whole wheat fettucine noodles
1+ cup skim milk
3/4 package fat free cream cheese
1 tsp. fresh basil from our garden :)
1/2 cup reduced fat Parmesan cheese (even better with fresh!)
tomatoes
caramelized onions
chicken breasts grilled with tomato basil seasoning

Cook noodles. Heat milk, cream cheese and basil until cheese melts. Remove from heat, add Parmesan cheese and combine. Add more milk if necessary to reach desired consistency. Serve hot, topping with tomatoes, onions and chicken if desired.

No comments: