Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I've got the blues...

A lot of the stuff I make for breakfast includes blueberries. They are not only extremely good for you, but they are easy to come by. I buy them frozen in bulk from Sam's. I also use a lot of nuts--good for you and in bulk at Sam's as well. Today's breakfast was....

Blueberry-Banana-Walnut Bread
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
2 TBSP chia seeds
2 egg whites
3/4 cup Splenda
1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
1/2 cup green puree (or applesauce)
1 1/2 tsp. orange zest
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1 cup chopped walnuts

Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, flaxseed, chia seeds and 1/4 tsp. salt. Stir in egg whites, Splenda, banana, puree and orange zest. Stir just till combined. Fold in blueberries and nuts. Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 60 to 70 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Wrap and store overnight.

The kids ate it with fat-free cottage cheese and peaches. In fact, they finished off the fat free cottage cheese, so I just had it with a glass of milk. Not as much protein as I should have had, but the nuts provided some, too.

My morning snack was yogurt and light string cheese. I have recently started eating Activia yogurt to see what all the hype is about. I was always leery to use it before because I was afraid the calorie content was too high. My normal yogurt is Dannon Light 'n' Fit. But the small Light Activias are only 70 calories and they taste great.

Speaking of yogurt--I have been reading a lot about Greek yogurt. It is very good for you and high in protein, but it is also about 5 times more expensive than regular yogurt. Who knows why--maybe they actually import it from Greece overnight or something. Anyway, I have used it in cooking, but never just straight up. My friend was telling me she tried it the other day and hated it. Do any of you have any insight on Greek yogurt? I'd love to hear from you...any of you!

4 comments:

Kayla said...

I actually really like greek yogurt. but, i'm picky about my yogurts, and for me the thicker the better! Sam's now sells it in bulk for a decent price. I buy it for myself, but don't share with the kiddos, they just get regular!

Rochelle said...

The texture/consistency is similar to sour cream. Sam has it with every meal, every day. He LOVES it! They sell it flavored and plain, but I've heard that you can add fruit or honey to the plain for extra flavor.

Mean Mommy said...

My kids didn't like the Greek yogurt, and I didn't particularly like it any better than regular.

Unknown said...

I buy it from Costco in a huge container. It's FAR more economical to do it that way.

I think it's almost an acquired taste. It's like eating sour cream--so tangy. I have added honey and granola to it but I admit that it's still not my favorite.

My issue with regular yogurt is the high amount of sugar in it, and I don't like artificial sweeteners either. Some yogurts have as much sugar as a candy bar! I'd rather just eat the Snickers, thankyouverymuch. Greek yogurt has very low sugar. Of course, to make it edible you have to add sugar in the form of honey or fruit, but I still would rather eat that kind of sugar than aspartame.