Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Pink Protein Power Pancakes

This morning Isaac asked if next time we could make the pancakes a different color. I guess it all depends on what purees I have available. Chloe is requesting purple--maybe I'll experiment with blue or blackberries. I feel like a Native American or something--using my all-natural dyes. Hee, hee.

This is a recipe adapted from Eating for Life. They provide a complete meal in themselves (in terms of protein and carbs.) Isaac gave them 2 thumbs up, the girls were not big fans. Lincoln ate them. I tasted them and they are bit different--a little sour maybe? But still good. With syrup. (I like SWEET.)

Pink Protein Pancakes
1 cup uncooked whole grain oats (non-instant)
6 egg whites
1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
3 TBSP Splenda
1/4 cup beet puree (or puree of your choice)
2 TBSP flaxseed
1 TBSP chia seeds

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour batter, 1/4 cup at a time, onto hot skillet. Cook until bubbly, then flip. Serve with light or sugar-free syrup.

*I tripled this recipe for my kids--although I could have gotten away with just doubling it. Also, I made the batter last night and refrigerated it. This morning it was really, really thick so I added some milk to thin it out. I think the beet flavor is a bit stronger than some of the other purees, so don't double or triple it. And you do need syrup. Trust me on this one.

And I tried a different brand of Greek yogurt this morning. I thought it tasted like vomit. But that is just me. Ryan likes it. I'm going to stick with the other kind for me at least.

No comments: