Thursday, July 15, 2010

Next you will be calling me a tree-hugger



That's right folks, I'm going all granola on you.

I made granola for breakfast this morning. Danger!! As far as granola goes, it isn't half bad--no added sugar, heart-healthy nuts and very little oil. The problem is not the granola, it's me. I can't stop eating it.

This morning for breakfast I had granola with milk. For my morning snack I had granola with yogurt. Lunch has been granola and watermelon (I'll have a light string cheese, too, so at least I get some protein in today.) It tastes REALLY good sprinkled on top of fat free chocolate frozen yogurt. I know that from previous experience...

Here's the recipe. Don't say I didn't warn you!!

Granola
3 TBSP canola oil
1 cup honey
2 TBSP vanilla
4 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup chopped almonds
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 TBSP orange zest
1 cup coconut
2 TBSP cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix ingredients in a large bowl until thoroughly combined. Spread in a thin layer over a greased jelly roll pan. Bake 10 minutes, then stir the mixture and bake an additional 10 minutes. Let cool. Add raisins if desired.

2 comments:

Amy said...

speaking from expierence when eating lots of homemade granola make sure you are not nursing a baby at the same time. It makes for very unpleasant diaper changes. Not that changing diapers is pleasant to begin with, I guess I should say more frequent diaper changes!

Lindsay said...

Thanks for the tip, Amy. I'm sure that will help some of the other readers. I know I will never again have that issue!!