Sunday, August 29, 2010

Attack of the Seasonal Allergies

Yesterday I got up bright and early to get in some cardio before heading out to spend a fun day with my parents and the kids. I just did the elliptical again. I know my cardio has been a little elliptical-heavy lately, but our work out room is located directly next to the guest room and I don't think my parents would appreciate listening to me run on the treadmill at 5:30 am every morning. (The elliptical is quieter and located upstairs.)

We had a quick breakfast and were out the door by 8:00 in the morning. We had a lot of fun activities planned--all of them outside. Well, I don't know what happened, but suddenly my body decided that it was allergic to the entire state of Colorado. My allergies have been flaring up a little this week, but they were horrible yesterday. By 9:15 in the morning I had literally cried off all of my eye makeup. Luckily there weren't too many other people around--they would have wondered why I had tears pouring down my face as we examined the dinosaur bones. I find dinosaur bones interesting, but usually they don't move me to tears.

Anyway, I suffered through the rest of our planned activities. We had our normal snacks (I had a yogurt bowl and the kids had Z bars) and a picnic lunch of turkey sandwiches. By the time we got home I was a sniveling mess. I blindly rummaged through the cupboards and took the first allergy medicine I could find.

We went out for an early dinner at Texas Roadhouse because Isaac had earned some free kids meals there at school. I had skipped my afternoon snack which wasn't the greatest of plans. I went into the meal hungry, tired and stressed. I hate taking the kids to restaurants. I did good ordering for the most part. I forgot to ask for my dressing on the side for the Caesar salad,


but I did remember to get the lemon butter on the side for the grilled salmon.

The food was good, but I have to admit I lost control with the rolls and had four of them! At least they are small.

Then I fell asleep on the way home from Texas Roadhouse! It is a 15 minute drive. I couldn't figure out what was going on. I was so exhausted and so foggy I couldn't even function. I knew there would be no more working out last night. My mom suggested that maybe the allergy medicine I had taken could be making me tired. I checked the box. "Marked Drowsiness may occur." Yeah, they weren't kidding. I was a zombie. In my zombie-like state I may have consumed some chocolate chips and cereal as well last night. I was still recovering from the stress of taking my kids out to eat in public. I HATE IT.

Anyway, so there you have it. Allergies + Visitors + Stress + Medication = some bad choices on my part, especially since I was unable to work out anymore last night.
It is really best for us to just avoid restaurants for so many reasons. Even special occasions become a lot less special when you are spending a bunch of money for fattening food that your kids refuse to eat because they are full from the rolls and peanuts. Really, not worth it.

No comments: